Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Moving On...

I saw Dr Reussner this morning.  He removed the sutures from my neck - it was starting to become rather irritated, so that was a welcome relief.  It is still a bit inflamed (and quite sensitive) so hopefully that will be short lived.  I will return in the middle of July, to have labs drawn, and hopefully that will end my time with Dr R.  Not that I don't enjoy him - he is actually one of my favorites that I have encountered along this journey, but it is nice to close out a chapter in this book.  Though my time with him has been brief, he has helped me a lot!  My PTH dropped from 222 just prior to surgery to 26.7 as soon as the abnormal parathyroid was removed.  CRAZY!  I can say that my head feels more clear - as if I am regaining some mental clarity, and memory!  I can actually remember things!  My aches and pains are greatly reduced, and its so nice to not have that horrid deep ache in my back and abdomen.  We discussed following up with LMH Oncology and how I felt like a sitting duck, just waiting around for the next thing to pop up and disrupt our lives again.  We discussed our plans for seeking a second opinion and treatment plan in Tulsa, and asked for his thoughts and opinion on the matter.  Dr Reussner explained that he agreed with us and didn't feel comfortable allowing me to sit and wait for the next issue to arise and explained that while the Cancer Treatment Centers of America are probably not bad people, he felt that I would be best to be seen by KUMed on a more speedy timeline.  I would be able to be seen sooner, and stay closer to home.  The trip to Tulsa would have been a 10-ish day visit and I have zero paid time off from work left at this time, so... I have been referred to KUMed Oncology.  I am trying to make sense of it all and have the right answers and thoughts.  While I am waiting, I will try to return to a normal routine.  
I will return to work next week and go from there.  Hopefully I will not be too far out of the loop, and there will still be a need for me there.  I have missed a lot and am nowhere near "in the know" for sure.  I haven't heard much by way of friendly chatter from anyone there, so it must be busy.  

For the rest of this week and most of next, I have to continue to rest.  I am still on pretty strict activity restriction for at least 6 more days.  We have a lot of plans to just relax in our future.  The two younger boys had been with my parents since last Wednesday, and I met up with them and got them back today.  I missed them, but man...they talk a lot.  :)

Hopefully time will slow down just a bit, I want to make sure and take it all in and enjoy every day this summer.  Goodnight, Friends.  


1 comment:

Melinda Woodring said...

I hope that I don't end up leaving you two messages, but I want to make sure that at least one gets through! I didn't realize you had a Blog, or I would have been following it for a LONG time! My prayers are with you Nikki, and I think of you often! I know what you mean when you say you feel like you are stuck. I am to the point now that I just brace myself for bad news and am shocked when I get good news! It shouldn't be like that, but unfortunately that's the way it's going at the moment. Anyway, like I always say, you have to keep the FAITH through it all!!! God will help guide us through! Take care! Sending you thoughts, prayers, strength, and love!!! (((HUGS)))